Half a can of coconut milk was sitting in my fridge just tempting me to take advantage of it. I can't look at coconut milk without thinking of this recipe. So I gave in and ended up with coconut banana bread muffins! My favorite improvement was sprinkling coconut over the muffins before they went into the oven. Topped with toasted coconut flakes, there is no mistaking these beauties for ordinary banana muffins.
1/22/09: It is surprising that this is the first bread recipe I've posted! I am the queen of carbs: I adore breads, rolls, muffins, bagels, and the list goes on! That being said, I try not to bake them too often (especially the sweet varieties) in fear that my diet will become dangerously unbalanced. Ice cream, brownies and such-not a big temptation. But if you leave a loaf of warm sweet something on the counter it'll be gone before you know it! This loaf is no exception. (I've already frozen what was left as soon as it cooled. This helps the loaf last maybe a week instead of an hour.) I'm having a hard time not digging it out of the freezer right now, just writing about it! The unique banana and coconut combo is amazing! It is much more moist than any banana bread I've ever made. I used half whole wheat flour and I doubt you could tell the difference. In the future I will try all whole wheat and see how it works out. This recipe would make perfect muffins as well.
INGREDIENTS
2 cups white whole wheat flour (You can use all-purpose but you'll want to add another 1/4 cup flour)
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 cup evaporated cane sugar (I reduced the sugar from the original recipe, which was 1 cup. If you prefer your bread very sweet then you can increase the sugar to your taste.)
2 large eggs
1 cup very ripe banana (2 med-large), mashed
1/2 cup lite coconut milk
1/4 cup plain non-fat yogurt (I used Greek style, use butter for a richer bread)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup shredded coconut + extra for topping (optional)
DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 9x5 loaf pan or muffin tin (or fill with liners).
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
3. In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar until well combined, then whisk in the mashed banana, coconut milk, yogurt and vanilla extract.
4.Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Stir in shredded coconut and pour batter into prepared baking pan/divide among muffin tins.
NOTE: If you are making muffins, you can sprinkle shredded coconut over the tops at this stage and they will come out of the oven with a lightly toasted coconut top. I don't suggest this for the loaf because it takes so long to cook that the coconut will likely burn.
5. For a loaf, bake for 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, or with only a few moist crumbs attached. For muffins, bake for 15-17 minutes, or until it passes the same toothpick test. Turn loaf/muffins out onto a wire rack to cool.
Makes 1 loaf or 15 muffins.
(Adapted from Baking Bites and Cooking Light)
Thanks for sharing this recipe. It was the best looking banana bread I have ever made. Every other recipe I have tried ends up having the bottom 1/4 of the loaf getting too brown. This loaf had consistent color. The taste was wonderful too. Other cooks might add more sugar, but since my crew gobbled it up as is, I would not. (It was not terribly sweet.) The fresh ground soft white wheat, made it extra special.
ReplyDelete