Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Pecan Crusted Salmon


I eat most of my fish raw. In the form of sushi, that is. I find it tastes less fishy in its naked state. Like most people I've met, I put up a fight before trying my first bite of raw sea life. But that's all it took before my misconceptions vanished. I've never met someone who has tried quality sushi and disliked it. (And by quality I don't mean the grocery-store imitation.) You want your fish fresh-as-it-gets (for taste and safety reasons.) I acknowledge that Sashimi is not for the shallow-hearted. But put it in a roll and you're crazy not to like it.

Dustin and I go out for sushi more than any other cuisine. I crave it...all the time. And it's not something I can make at home (yet). Fresh fish is expensive and perfect sticky rice takes hours of preparation. And since the variety of sushi you can get at restaurants is extensive, making my own seems impractical. Something I'll try for sure, but not for everyday.

So at home I cook my fish. Salmon is a favorite. It can stand on it's own...delicious with just a dab of butter and shake of salt and pepper. But if you want to go all out- I'm talking restaurant worthy- make this dish: flaky salmon beneath a layer of honey-mustard and a crunchy pecan-bread crumb crust. Served with a salad it makes a splendid seafood supper.

INGREDIENTS
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
2 tsp. honey
1/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
1/4 cup pecans, finely chopped
1 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
2 (4 oz.) salmon fillets
salt and pepper, to taste
lemon wedges, for serving

DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.

2. Combine honey and mustard in a small bowl. In a separate bowl combine bread crumbs, pecans, and parsley.

3. Season salmon fillets with salt and pepper. Brush with honeymustard. Sprinkle with bread crumb mixture. Place in a greased baking dish.

4. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes per inch of thickness or until salmon flakes when tested with a fork. Serve garnished with lemon wedges.

Serves 2.

(Adapted from All Recipes)

No comments:

Post a Comment