Sunday, October 18, 2009

Grilled Mahi Fish Tacos with Avocado Creme


I updated this recipe with a new sauce- an Avocado Creme. Delicious on just about anything, really.

7/29/09: My favorite meal in Charleston was at a roadside taco shop on our way back from the beach. We had the best fish tacos ever! I would make the 7-hour drive every weekend (if I wasn't short on time and money) just to grab a bite at Taco Boy. It was painful to return home and leave behind the salty ocean air and abundant fresh sea life.

Luckily, fish comes frozen. Good quality wild-caught fish that is flash frozen tastes nearly as good as fresh. So I purchased a frozen fillet of my friend mahi and tried to recreate those unforgettable fish tacos. This is a meal that will forever remind me of summertime on Folly Beach, SC.


INGREDIENTS
Marinade:
2 Tbsp. honey
1 lime, juiced
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. ancho chili powder
salt and pepper, to taste

Avocado Creme:
1/2 cup sour cream
1 avocado, peeled and pitted
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
1/2 lime, juiced
salt and pepper, to taste

2 6 0z. mahi mahi fillets
cabbage or lettuce (I used Boston leaves)
whole wheat flour or corn tortillas, warmed
Pico de gallo

DIRECTIONS
1. To make the Avocado Creme, combine sour cream, avocado, lime juice, and cilantro in a food processor and pulse until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

2. While grill is preheating, whisk together marinade ingredients in a shallow dish. Marinate fish for 15 minutes.

3. Discard marinade and grill fish for several minutes on each side, until it easily flakes with a fork. Serve with warmed tortillas, cabbage or lettuce, pico de gallo, and chili sauce.

Serves 2.

(Adapted from Love and Olive Oil)

No comments:

Post a Comment