Thursday, March 18, 2010

Apple Cheddar Bacon Panini


Crisp Granny Smith apples + gooey Cheddar + crunchy bacon + toasted bread = panini happiness. Healthy? Nah, not really. Bacon usually doesn't quality as a health food. But it's good. Hearty and filling and yummy. You might think the apples sound out of place, but they're cool and crisp and slightly sweet and add just the right contrast to the sharp cheese and salty bacon. I might have a slight apple addiction (and be excessively passionate about paninis), but I'm refusing treatment as of yet.

INGREDIENTS
4 slices hearty whole wheat bread
apple, thinly sliced (Granny Smith suggested)
Cheddar, grated
red onion, thinly sliced (optional, but highly recommended)
4 slices bacon, cooked until crisp and crumbled

DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat griddle or panini press to high heat.

2. Layer two slices of bread with Cheddar, apple, onion, bacon, and more Cheddar. Top with the remaining slices of bread.

3. Spray preheated griddle or panini press with cooking spray. Grill until the cheese has melted and the bread is crisp and golden brown. Slice and serve hot.

Makes 2 paninis.

(Adapted from Food Network)

5 comments:

  1. oh my gosh jessie i need to call you and tell you my news! well its not that exciting but I was happy and you would be proud. I got a panini press! It is wonderful! I tried it out the other night for the first time and I was so surprised how perfect the better toast and grilled at the same time and the cheese melted beautifully. I'll never go back after this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristin- Yay! As you've probably noticed- I LOVE my panini press and use it ALL THE TIME! Now you can make all my gazillion panini recipes! Call me soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jessie, I used some of your recipes over spring break and they were so yummy. I made a version of this on naan bread and loved the apple with cheddar. Your blog is great and easy to follow the recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is wonderful & so are all of your recipes! thank you for sharing and please continue! i love how much you use avocados, bacon, and cheese. three of the best foods ever.

    ReplyDelete