Saturday, May 22, 2010
Garlic Hummus, Revisited
It wasn't too long ago that I first posted this recipe. Since I feel I've improved upon it since then, and I'm plum out of other recipes to post, I'm bringing it back! We returned from our "Southern shores" (that's what I'm naming it) vacation last night. This is the first thing I've made since our return. When we got home last night we were starving and grocery-less, so we visited one of my favorite Richmond restaurants- Cous Cous. They have an extensive Mediterranean-Moroccan menu, and even though we've dined there multiple times, we've only had the chance to try a fraction of the selection of tapas. This time we went for the hummus platter. Why I'd never ordered it before, I do not know, because it is absolutely amazing! Their hummus is smooth and garlicky, served with warm pita bread and toasted pine nuts. The best hummus I've ever had. So naturally I had to try and replicate it at home. I just made a few minor tweaks to my previous recipe. And it turned out really good! Much cheaper too. Next time I'm going to try adding a few dashes of cumin and see how it affects the flavor. Hummus is delicious served with warm pita bread or crunchy fresh vegetables for dipping or spread on a sandwich or wrap.
3/20/10: I buy a tub of hummus almost every week from the grocery store, so it's about time I tried making my own! It's so simple. And thanks to the help of my handy food processor- fast. Hummus can be made a million different ways. Everybody has their own tastes and preferences. So I say, to each his own. If you want more bitter tahini- go for it. Use more garlic, or less lemon. Really, this recipe is easily adaptable. It's a starting place. Adjust it however you want. This combination did it for me.
Garlic Hummus
INGREDIENTS
1 (14 oz.) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 Tbsp. tahini (sesame seed paste)
1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil + extra to drizzle on top
1 clove garlic
1/2 tsp. kosher salt (more or less to taste)
cumin, to taste (optional)
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
paprika, for garnish
fresh parsley, for garnish
DIRECTIONS
1. Combine chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini, olive oil, and garlic in a food processor and blend until smooth. Add several tablespoonfuls (about 1/4 cup) of water until you reach the desired consistency. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and cumin (optional). Place in a serving bowl and garnish with paprika and parsley (both optional).
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus:
Same as above, except add 1 whole roasted red pepper. (You will probably not need to add any water because the roasted red pepper will be very moist.)
Makes about 2 cups.
(Adapted from All Recipes)
Labels:
Beans,
Sides,
Vegetarian
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment