Saturday, November 20, 2010

Ribollita (Tuscan Bread Soup)


This was new territory for me. I'd never even heard of ribollita, nor cooked with kale or savoy cabbage before. A friend told me about this amazing soup she'd made and directed me to Ina's recipe. The Italian word ribollita literally means "reboiled". According to Wikipedia, it derived this name because it was originally made by recooking leftover minestrone or vegetable soup from the previous day. Seems resourceful to me. Such a clever use of leftovers.

I simplified things by using already cooked (a.k.a. canned) beans. And I went with bacon because I can't afford pancetta. While I recommend using the kale, I'm not sure I'd include the cabbage again. The taste didn't both me, but it had an odd stringy texture that felt out of place. My last deviation was to save the bread for serving with the soup rather than stirring it in. I wasn't in the mood for a soggy bowl of bread. (I'm not saying that the authentic method of preparing it wouldn't be good. I just didn't risk it.) Hearty sourdough (or another artisinal) bread can be served on the top (much like croutons) or bottom of the bowl, or simply on the side for dipping. I liked the last option best.

INGREDIENTS
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1/4 lb. bacon or pancetta, diced
2 yellow onions, chopped
3 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
6 cloves garlic, minced
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste (I started with about 1 tsp. of each and then adjusted to taste form there)
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
28-oz. can Italian plum tomatoes in puree, chopped (I pureed mine in the food processor for a smooth consistency)
4 cups savoy cabbage, shredded or chopped (optional- I'll probably omit it next time)
4 cups kale, chopped (I'll probably use more next time)
1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
2 cans great northern or canellini beans, drained and rinsed
6-8 cups homemade or low-sodium chicken stock (I only used 6 cups)
whole wheat sourdough bread, for serving
Parmigiano Reggiano, freshly grated for serving

DIRECTIONS
1. Heat the olive oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the pancetta/bacon and onions and cook over medium-low heat for 7 to 10 minutes, until the onions are translucent. Add the carrots, celery, garlic, 1 tsp. each of salt and pepper, and the red pepper flakes. Cook over medium-low heat for 7 to 10 minutes, until the vegetables are tender. Add the tomatoes with their puree, the cabbage, if using, the kale, and basil and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for another 7 to 10 minutes.

2. Puree half (one can) of the beans in a blender or food processor (adding a little liquid if necessary). Add to the stockpot, along with the remaining whole beans. Add the chicken stock to the soup and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.

3. Taste for seasoning and serve hot in large bowls with sourdough bread, freshly grated Parmesan, and a drizzle of olive oil (optional).

Serves 6-8.

(Adapted from Food Network)

1 comment:

  1. Delicious! Will definitely make again, and I agree. Much better without the cabbage and with more kale!

    ReplyDelete