Wednesday, December 22, 2010
Grilled Chipotle Shrimp Tacos with Mango Avocado Salsa
All those Florida palm trees last week must have put me in the mood for something tropical. That, and the need to lighten things up in the midst of the calorie-laden holidays inspired these shrimp tacos. They're actually a revision on an old recipe I posted. The salsa is the same (you shouldn't mess with something perfect), but the shrimp have been improved. Instead of using minced chipotle in adobo sauce, I went with a spice rub featuring ground chipotle powder. So no marinating involved but still tons of spicy smoky flavor. The chipotle-crusted shrimp pack some heat, but the cool mango avocado salsa balances them out. (As long as you don't go overboard with the jalapeno.)
Grilled Chipotle Shrimp Tacos with Mango Avocado Salsa
INGREDIENTS
1 lb. raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
whole wheat flour or corn tortillas, warmed
Chipotle Spice Rub:
1 tsp. chipotle powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. coriander
1/4 tsp. Mexican oregano
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
Mango Avocado Salsa:
1 mango, peeled, pitted, and diced
1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced
1/2 small red onion, diced
1 jalapeno, seeds and ribs removed and diced
1 lime, juiced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
DIRECTIONS
1. To prepare the salsa, toss to combine mango, avocado, onion , jalapeno, lime juice and cilantro in a medium bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use.
2. To make the spice rub, combine all spices in a small bowl.
3. Preheat outdoor grill or indoor grill pan to medium-high heat. Pat shrimp dry and sprinkle with spice rub on both sides. Lightly grease grill with olive oil or cooking spray. Grill shrimp until curled and opaque. Serve in warmed tortillas with avocado mango salsa.
Serves 2-4.
(Salsa adapted from All Recipes)
Labels:
Appetizer,
Seafood,
Southwestern
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Jessie- This look delicious and lucky for me I have a stack of tortilla's just waiting for something special. Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas!
ReplyDeleteJessie-I cannot tell you how perfect this is right now! Not only do I have a ton of shrimp to use, I needed a nice light, fresh recipe with all the heavy food I have been eating over the holidays. Thanks so much. Merry Christmas!
ReplyDeleteoh boy oh boy that is just right up my alley...it is beautiful and I know it will be delicious! Thank you so very much for sharing.
ReplyDelete