Thursday, March 24, 2011
Spinach, Orange, and Fig Salad with Warm Goat Cheese
My new obsession: figs. I can't get enough of them. They're chewy and sweet and completely delicious. Since it's not fig season, I'm sticking with the dried variety for now (but just wait- I'll be posting plenty of fresh fig recipes come summer!). They didn't even belong in this salad and I inserted them. Lightly dressed baby spinach, segments of juicy orange, slivers of crunchy red onion, warm pecan-encrusted goat cheese, and the figs. An improvement on an already stellar salad.
Spinach, Orange, and Fig Salad with Warm Goat Cheese
INGREDIENTS
10 oz. baby spinach
navel orange, peeled, sliced, and segmented
4 oz. goat cheese (preferably in log form)
1/3 cup pecans, chopped
small red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup dried figs, stemmed and quartered
Vinaigrette:
1 Tbsp. freshly squeezed orange juice
1 tsp. white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp. whole grain Dijon mustard
pinch organic cane sugar
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. To make the vinaigrette, whisk to combine orange juice, vinegar, Dijon, and sugar in a small bowl. Slowly stream in olive oil while whisking constantly to emulsify. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Slice the log of goat cheese into four medallions. Roll in the chopped pecans. Place on a baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for about 5 minutes, until warmed through.
4. In a large bowl, combine spinach, orange segments, red onion, and figs. Pour vinaigrette over salad and toss to coat. Divide among four plates, top with the warmed goat cheese, and serve.
NOTE: If you don't want to go to all the work of baking the goat cheese, this salad is as equally delicious topped with crumbled goat cheese and toasted pecan pieces.
Serves 4.
(Adapted from Gourmet)
Labels:
Fruit,
Salad,
Vegetables
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yum. This looks great. I like the addition of the orange to the figs & goat cheese - I will have to try it. I just made a Fig & Goat Cheese Sandwich that I love. Check it out here: www.mycookingtherapy.com.
ReplyDelete