Sunday, April 3, 2011

Browned Butter Cake with Cinnamon Chocolate Frosting


Sometimes I find a recipe that instead of stuffing into the back of my file (or favorites folder) to eventually try, I have to make right away. There will be no waiting. That's how it went with this cake. I didn't immediately dash to my pantry and pull out the mixer and get busy. But I did dream up the soonest occasion that serving a cake of this caliber seemed appropriate and set my heart on it. I had a date with a cake. Well, a group date actually. As I often say, baked goods are best enjoyed in the company of others. When the excitement can be passed among friends and you're not left feeling sick after eating a two-story cake (or a dozen cupcakes) on your own.

Well how did the date go? The fact that I'm sharing the details of it with you, suggests success. This was a splendid cake. The base looks like a plain yellow cake, but it is so much more than that. It's nutty and aromatic from the inclusion of browned butter. And that's no ordinary chocolate frosting- it has been lightly spiced with cinnamon! If you too choose to set a date with this cake, my main piece of advice would be to not over-bake it. Too long in the oven and it it'll turn crumbly instead of moist. (I often take cakes out slightly before they pass the toothpick test. And I never trust a baking time. Always check early and often!) And if I had a chance to do it over again, I think I'd go for cupcakes. They can be enjoyed much quicker and are infinitely easier to slather in frosting.

Browned Butter Cake with Cinnamon Chocolate Frosting

INGREDIENTS
Browned Butter Cake:
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 cup milk
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) salted butter (if using unsalted, add a pinch of salt)
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/4 tsp. baking powder

Cinnamon Chocolate Frosting:
5 oz. semisweet or bittersweet chocolate (I used Ghirardelli 60% bittersweet chips)
1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, room temperature (if using unsalted, add a pinch of salt)
3 cups powdered sugar
2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
4-8 Tbsp. milk (to desired consistency- I used 4 Tbsp.)

DIRECTIONS
1. To brown the butter, melt butter in a heavy-bottomed saute pan over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until foam subsides and brown flecks appear in the bottom of the pan. Continue stirring until it reaches a brown hue with a nutty aroma. Remove from the heat to cool.

2. Preheat oven to 350 F. Butter and flour 2 9-inch round cake pans. (Or line a 12-hole cupcake pan.)

3. To prepare the cake batter, beat sugar and eggs with an electric mixer until slightly thickened, about a minute. Add the milk, browned butter, and vanilla, mixing until just combined. Add the flour and baking powder and beat until well incorporated, about a minute.

4. Divide the batter among the two cake pans (or cupcake tins) and bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes (18-20 minutes for cupcakes), until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean (or the cakes spring back lightly when touched). After cooling on a rack for several minutes, remove the cake from the pans to cool completely before frosting.

5. To prepare the frosting, melt chocolate in a double broiler (or in the microwave, stirring at 15-second intervals) and set aside. Beat butter with an electric mixer until creamy. Beat in the melted chocolate. Add powdered sugar, cocoa, cinnamon, and vanilla and beat until smooth. Slowly add the milk, 1 Tbsp. at a time, until you reach the desired consistency. Spread over cooled cake (or cupcakes) and serve.

Makes a 9-inch round 2-layer cake or a dozen cupcakes.

(Adapted from Honey and Jam)

1 comment:

  1. Saw this on Pinterest and it looks amazing! I love, love, love the flavor of brown butter! I'll start low carb on Monday. Again. lol!

    ReplyDelete