Saturday, May 21, 2011

Pineapple Carrot Muffins


I don't know where my mother came across this recipe, but she's been making it for years now and I'm finally getting around to including it in my collection. When I first left home for college (almost 7 years ago- wow) she typed up a binder full of all the recipes I grew up on. That was before I cooked much of anything. But as you can see that changed. And I still consult that notebook regularly.

My mom and I have both tweaked this recipe multiple times and, if anything, learned that it is very forgiving. She (accidentally) left out all of the sugar on one occasion, but had included raisins, and the muffins were still pleasantly edible. We've tried various combinations of all-purpose and wheat flour, used applesauce to replace the oil, and even added nuts. All successful. These softly spiced muffins always turn out moist and yummy.

Pineapple Carrot Muffins

INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
1/4 cup organic cane sugar (or brown sugar)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. canola oil (or unsweetened applesauce)
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
1 cup carrot, grated
8 oz. can crushed pineapple (do NOT drain)
1/2 cup raisins (optional)

DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line or lightly grease a 12-hole muffin pan.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk to combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk to combine oil (or applesauce), egg, milk, carrot, and pineapple (and its juices). Add dry ingredients and mix until just moistened throughout. Fold in raisins (optional). Spoon into prepared muffin pan, filling almost to the top.

3. Bake in preheated oven for about 15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.

Makes 12 muffins.

3 comments:

  1. Made these this morning...delicious. So moist even with so little oil! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever made them with coconut flour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no- sounds good though! let me know how it goes if you try it!

      Delete