Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Cucumber Avocado Sandwich


I'm ridiculously late finishing this post. No excuse. Just laziness. Instead of writing about food I've been shopping my way through Northern Virginia and sunbathing at the pool. Spending time with my sisters and family. Not working. Yeah, that's right. I no longer have a job. I haven't been in the mood to talk it about it much. Thankfully, it was by choice. But it's still no fun to be suddenly unemployed and unsure of what the future holds. It was a hard decision to make because I love surgery. But for a list of reasons the operating room wasn't the right fit for me long term. And it hasn't been easy letting go.

So while I recommence my job search, I'll turn my attention back to the kitchen. Because cooking is how I like to spend my free time. My favorite form of therapy. (And luckily, for my health, I also like to work out. Don't think I cook and eat all day. That would be scary.) I especially love being at home for lunch. Packing a sandwich to haul to work at 5 AM is unpleasant. And then that sandwich never looks or tastes quite the same after being smashed into a locker or purse all morning. Compounded with the fact that everything you eat in a hospital is less appetizing. (Trust me, the cafeteria food is an even worse option.) So I'm spoiling myself right now when lunchtime rolls around.

I'd never have the patience to make this sandwich pre-dawn. And it wouldn't hold up well in a paper bag. But I've made it at least three times this week. It's got cream cheese spread on one slice of bread and avocado slices on the other. And in between is layered cucumber, tomato, lettuce, onion, peppers, and sprouts. Veggielicious.

Cucumber Avocado Sandwich

INGREDIENTS
2 slices whole wheat or multi-grain bread
avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced
salt and freshly ground black pepper
tomato, thinly sliced
green leaf lettuce
cucumber, thinly sliced
red onion, thinly sliced
pepperoncini, sliced
sprouts
drizzle red wine vinegar
cream cheese

DIRECTIONS
1. Spread avocado on a slice of bread. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Layer with tomato, lettuce, cucumber, onion, pepperoncinis, and sprouts. Drizzle with red wine vinegar. Spread cream cheese on the second slice of bread and place on top. Slice and serve.

Makes 1 sandwich.

(Adapted from All Recipes)

1 comment:

  1. sounds delicious!!! Have all the ingredients in the fridge. I do make cream cheese and cucumber sandwich but never tried with avocado. I love Avocado :) Going to try this sooon!

    ReplyDelete