Tuesday, June 30, 2009

"Roquefort" Pear Salad, Revisited


Roquefort is a type of blue cheese (there are about 100 varieties), made with sheep’s milk. I decided to use Gorgonzola, which is another variety of blue, but made with cow’s milk. While preparing the salad, I took a bite of the gorgonzola, only to confirm a long-time suspicion that I strongly dislike blue cheese! (Although I'm in love with CPK's Pear and Gorgonzola Pizza.) I even tried it doused in dressing and with the rest of the salad ingredients but it was still too strong. So I substituted some feta that I had on hand, with much better results. If you know you love blue cheese, then use it! But if you are in doubt, try feta which is mild and complementary. Otherwise this salad is divine…my husband said it was one of his favorites yet!

INGREDIENTS
1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
3 pears, cored and sliced
5 oz. Roquefort or Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled (or feta if you must)
1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced
1/2 cup red or green onion, thinly sliced
pecans, toasted

Mustard Vinaigrette:
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 1/2 tsp. organic cane sugar
1 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 clove garlic, minced
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

DIRECTIONS
1. For the vinaigrette, blend oil, vinegar, sugar, mustard, and garlic. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

2. In a large serving bowl, layer lettuce, pears, cheese, avocado, and onions. Pour dressing over salad, sprinkle with pecans, and serve.

Serves 6.

(Adapted from All Recipes)

No comments:

Post a Comment