Saturday, June 13, 2009

Winter Fruit Salad with Lemon Poppyseed Dressing



So long to boring salads and bottled dressings. Admittedly, a lot more time and effort go into making your own dressings than reaching for a bottle stored neatly on your refrigerator shelf. But despite my new crazy schedule, I still have time to whisk one up before dinner. The result is worth it. I wish I'd known years ago how fantastic and simple homemade vinaigrettes are. This is another I can add to my list of "favorites". I've thought hard about it, and I can't pick just one to top the list. They're all so good, so unique, so unlike anything pre-packaged and purchased that I've ever had.

You're probably thinking, "Why a winter fruit salad in the middle of summer?" I know it's not winter. I couldn't resist. I eat apples all year round and for this occasion, had to splurge on a pear. But this salad has been beckoning me and I'm so glad I gave in. All the bits and pieces are fabulous, but it is the dressing that will really knock your socks off- a beautiful, lightly sweet lemon poppy seed vinaigrette. I guess you just can't bottle perfection.

INGREDIENTS
Lemon Poppy Seed Vinaigrette:
2 tsp. honey
2 Tbsp. lemon juice (If you use a Meyer lemon you can reduce the honey slightly) 
1/2 tsp. diced onion
1/4 tsp. Dijon mustard
dash of salt
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp. poppy seeds

4 cups romaine lettuce
4 cups mixed greens
1/2 cup roasted cashews
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1 apple, cored and sliced
1 pear, cored and sliced

DIRECTIONS
To make the vinaigrette:
1. In a blender or food processor, combine the honey, lemon juice, mustard, and salt. Process until well blended. With the motor running, add the oil in a slow, steady stream, until mixture is thick and smooth. Add poppy seeds and process just a few seconds more to mix.

To assemble the salad:
1. In a large bowl, combine the romaine and mixed greens. Top with cashews, cranberries, apple, and pear. Drizzle with vinaigrette and toss to combine. Serve immediately.

Serves 2-4.

(Adapted from All Recipes)

No comments:

Post a Comment