A friend from home whose husband lived in Italy for some time gave me this recipe. Now I know what all the previous tomato sauces I've had were missing: carrots! This sauce is delicious! I cheated and used dried basil- I can only imagine what it's going to taste like with fresh! I prepared the sauce a day ahead and let it rest in the fridge overnight. Since it makes a large batch I also froze half of it. The next evening I browned some ground beef and added my sauce to reheat. My husband licked clean several platefuls, and I was spooning down the sauce sans noodles! I'm going to use this sauce in other pasta dishes as well- lasagna, baked ziti, stuffed shells- there are endless possibilities!
INGREDIENTS
2 28-oz. cans crushed tomatoes
3 carrots, chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
2 medium onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
1/2 cup olive oil
2 large basil leaves (or 4 medium)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
DIRECTIONS
1. Place all ingredients except for salt and pepper in a large saucepan and simmer for 30 minutes or longer (until the vegetables are soft).
2. Puree the sauce in a blender or food processor.
3. Return the sauce to the pan, add salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer. cook for another 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand 20 minutes.
4. Sauce may be used right after making, but is much better if made a day before using to let the flavors blend. Also, this sauce freezes very well. If frozen, thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.
Serves 8-10.
(Recipe courtesy of Jennifer DeReus)
No comments:
Post a Comment