2/10/09: I served this salad last night as our first course of dinner (we don't usually eat in courses but the Chicken Cordon Bleu was being stubbornly slow to cook), and because I can't seem to get enough, I just had it again for lunch today! It is elegant enough for a dinner party and yet simple enough for everyday. It is the pinnacle of what a salad should be: healthy, bright, and inviting. Strawberries, balsamic, and feta are a mouth-watering combination! Sliced almonds and sesame seeds add a hint of nuttiness, while the olive oil and strawberries impart a sweet fruity note. It is perfection! I promise you will love it!
5/1/09: This salad makes my top two. (Tied with my Spinach, Pear, and Walnut Salad with Pomegranate Vinaigrette- I don't even want to try deciding which I like best. They are so different and both so delicious!) I didn't change the recipe much from last time- I just reduced the amount of sesame and poppy seeds in the dressing. It didn't need quite so many. All I know is that this salad will be served in heaven. If not, then don't tell me because I'll lose some of my motivation to get there. ;-)
INGREDIENTS
Dressing:
2 tsp. sesame seeds
1 tsp. poppy seeds
2 Tbsp. organic cane sugar or honey
1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1/8 tsp. paprika
1/8 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp. red or white onion, minced
10 oz. fresh baby spinach, rinsed and dried
1 quart fresh strawberries, cleaned, hulled and sliced
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
DIRECTIONS
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the sesame seeds, poppy seeds, sugar, olive oil, vinegar, paprika, Worcestershire sauce and onion. Cover, and chill until serving.
2. In a large bowl, combine the spinach, strawberries, almonds, and feta. Pour dressing over salad, and toss. (Use the dressing sparingly, it may make more than you need!)
Serves 4.
(Adapted from All Recipes)
2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1/8 tsp. paprika
1/8 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp. red or white onion, minced
10 oz. fresh baby spinach, rinsed and dried
1 quart fresh strawberries, cleaned, hulled and sliced
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
DIRECTIONS
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the sesame seeds, poppy seeds, sugar, olive oil, vinegar, paprika, Worcestershire sauce and onion. Cover, and chill until serving.
2. In a large bowl, combine the spinach, strawberries, almonds, and feta. Pour dressing over salad, and toss. (Use the dressing sparingly, it may make more than you need!)
Serves 4.
(Adapted from All Recipes)
By the way, I made this and LOVE the dressing. I used goat cheese, strawberries and pecans it was yummy
ReplyDelete