I view my blogging as building a recipe library. I dream that several years down the road when I have my own little family, we will peruse through my virtual shelves of tried, tested, and treasured recipes. In the interest of my husband, and the kids he hopes to someday father, I've been hard at work compiling the cookie collection. (I like cookies too, but the bread isle is where you'll find me.)
Peanut butter cookies are classic. There is nothing fancy shmancy about this recipe. It came from my mother. I have no idea where she got it. My family has been making it for years, and now I'll pass it on. If you're one of those crunchy types (when it comes to peanut butter), feel free to use it instead. It will probably alter the texture of the cookie- for better or worse I can't say. I like to roll mine in sugar, mostly for aesthetic reasons. When the sun hits their sugar dusted crusts, they shimmer.
INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg, whisked
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
DIRECTIONS
1. Cream margarine and sugars in a large bowl until soft and smooth. Add the egg, vanilla, and peanut butter and beat until thoroughly combined.
2. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, salt and baking powder. Add flour mixture by thirds to the creamed mixture, beating in between.
3. Refrigerate dough 2 hours.
4. Roll dough into balls. (Optional: Roll balls in sugar so they have a light coating.) Place them on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Using a fork, make criss-crosses on top of the cookie.
5. Bake in a preheated 375 F oven for 8-12 minutes. Remove them as soon as the edges begin to brown. They will harden further once cooled.
Makes 2 dozen small cookies.
No comments:
Post a Comment