Friday, November 6, 2009

Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Icing


I wrote a lengthy description of this recipe yesterday. I put a lot of time and thought into it. And then my screen froze before it saved and it was gone. This has happened once or twice before and it's devastating. (Think: you just finish writing a paper for school to have your computer melt down on you. It's the same, except on a smaller scale. Although it doesn't feel small to me- I've lost my time and creativity.) So I started sulking and stubbornly refused to write anything since. But my OCD conscience won't let me post another recipe without first finishing this one. So I'm back. This post won't be nearly as good as the first one was.

I made these cupcakes for a Halloween Treat- along with Pumpkin ones that are awaiting publication. The chocolate cupcakes are soft, moist, rich, and luxurious. The creamy peanut butter icing is packed with peanut flavor. If you love peanut butter (me!) and chocolate (who doesn't?) then you'll adore this combination cupcake! These cupcakes are one of the easiest desserts I've ever made. It's essentially a one bowl recipe. No special instructions or complicated combining of ingredients. Dump 'em together and you're good to go. This will be my go-to chocolate cupcake recipe from now on! And don't hesitate to try them with different types of frosting- you can't go wrong!

INGREDIENTS
Chocolate Cupcakes:
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa (I used half dark)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 large eggs
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup canola oil or melted butter
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2/3 cup mini chocolate chips (optional- I omitted)

Peanut Butter Icing:
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup creamy peanut butter
5 Tbsp. butter, room temperature
3/4 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/3+ cup heavy cream (I add more until I reached the creamy consistency I liked)

crushed peanuts, to sprinkle on top (optional)

DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Place liners in muffin tins.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together cocoa, flour, white sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt until thoroughly mixed.

3. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, water, buttermilk, vegetable oil and vanilla extract. Whisk into flour mixture until all of the ingredients are mixed in and no streaks of flour remain. Add in optional mini chocolate chips, if using.

4. Fill muffin cups evenly with the prepared batter. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean, or with only a few crumbs.

5. Remove cupcakes from the pan and cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.

6. To make the frosting, cream together sugar, peanut butter, butter, vanilla and salt. Add the cream and beat on high speed until the mixture is light and smooth. Frost cooled cupcakes. Sprinkle with crushed peanuts (optional).

Makes 24 cupcakes.

(Cupcakes from Baking Bites and Icing from Food Network)

1 comment: