Thursday, November 26, 2009

Classic Beef Stew



Happy Thanksgiving! I'm eating at my parent's house this year and so, sadly, I don't have a turkey recipe to share with you. But this beef stew should do. It's warm and inviting for a Winter dinner. A rustic crock pot recipe that couldn't be any easier. I love spending a few minutes on dinner prep during the morning and then returning home to a house wafting with wonderful aromas. And dinner is served!

I bought my stew meat from the same local farmer that I've been purchasing ground beef. Local grass fed beef is leaner and yummier. This recipe is easily adaptable. You can toss in your favorite vegetables or seasonings. Add more garlic, substitute sweet potatoes, whatever you'd like.

INGREDIENTS
1 lb. beef stew meat
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
extra virgin olive oil
4 large carrots, peeled and chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 lbs. Yukon gold potatoes, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
1 tsp. paprika
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 1/2 cups low sodium beef broth
1 Tbsp. tomato paste

DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Toss beef with salt, pepper, and flour to dredge. Sear beef in preheated pan, a minute or two on each side, until browned. Transfer to a slow cooker.

2. Add the remaining ingredients (carrots through tomato paste) to the slow cooker. Cook on high for 4-6 hours (mine was perfectly done after 5 hours) or on low for 10-12 hours, until the meat is tender.

Serves 4.

(Adapted from All Recipes)

1 comment:

  1. Oh we made this the other day! It was yummmmy! Thanks for the post. I even ate the leftovers and I am NOT a leftovers person. :)

    ReplyDelete