Monday, February 8, 2010

Chicken, Corn, and Potato Chowder


I'm so behind. I find a few minutes to publish a post and never get around to writing about it. I figure you'd rather have description-less recipes than no recipes at all! Am I right? When I read other food blogs I usually don't even bother reading the story at the beginning. I might, if a recipe really peaks my interest and I want to know everything the author had to say about it. So in all honesty, I bet that very few of you pay attention to what I say. The photos do most of the talking. A food photo is worth more than a thousand words, since it can stimulate such an intense craving that even the best descriptive literature could never match!

Browsing food blogs can be hazardous to your health. All those sensuous food photos popping up in your face. A girl could put on a lot of weight if she's not careful. When you're home and hungry and alone, it's not the time to be sneaking peeks at what the bloggosphere is serving up. Definitely don't go looking at Tastespotting or Food Gawker. You're a goner.

Crumbled bacon and cheddar cheese atop a piping hot bowl of chowder might make you crazy too. Who can look at bacon and not salivate? Well, this soup tastes as superb as it looks (better, actually- my photography skills are less than great). This chowder is full of tender chicken chunks, cubed gold potatoes, and creamy corn kernels. It's rich and luxurious (without being too fattening). While the base is flavored with a bit of its grease, the crisp bacon is saved for sprinkling on top. The perfect finishing touch.

INGREDIENTS
3 slices bacon
1 lb. skinless boneless chicken breast halves, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 medium onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can diced green chiles
5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
3-4 cups Yukon Gold potatoes, diced (I left the skins on for fiber!)
1 (14 oz.) can whole-kernel corn (could use fresh or frozen corn)
1 (14 oz.) can creamed corn
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups 2% milk
1 1/2 cups sharp Cheddar cheese, grated + extra for serving
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (to taste)
salt and freshly ground black pepper, for serving
scallions, chopped (for garnish)

DIRECTIONS
1. Cook bacon in a large pot over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon and set aside on a paper towel. Drain all but 1 Tbsp. of the bacon fat from the pan. Add the onions, red pepper, and garlic. Cook, stirring often until onions are translucent and soft. Add the chicken and cook for several minutes until browned. Stir in the green chiles, chicken broth, and potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are soft.

2. Meanwhile, measure flour into a medium sized bowl. Slowly whisk in the milk so that no clumps remain. When the potatoes are soft, stir in the whole kernel corn and creamed corn. Add the milk and flour mixture and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until thickened, about 15 minutes. Stir in the cheddar cheese to melt. Season with cayenne, salt, and pepper to taste.

3. Crumble bacon once cooled. Ladle soup into bowls and serve garnished with crumbled bacon, cheddar, and scallions.

Serves 8.

(Adapted from Cookin' Canuck)

2 comments:

  1. How do you feel about subbing in sweet potatoes instead?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would add a slightly different taste to the soup- a little sweetness perhaps- but I think it would still be delicious!

    ReplyDelete