Sunday, June 6, 2010

Barbecue Ham and Pineapple Pizza




This is a Ham and Pineapple pizza with pizazz! Since I recently became obsessed with incorporating pineapple into everything I make (just wait- a pineapple frenzy is on it's way!), I've been dying to put it on pizza. Ham and pineapple with tomato sauce is traditional. Barbecue, perhaps not. This creation was inspired by my own BBQ chicken pizza. I kept the essentials the same- the thin layer of sauce over the crust, a scattering of sliced red onions, and a generous sprinkling of mozzarella and smoked Gouda. But instead of chicken, I chose shaved deli ham and freshly chopped pineapple. And red pepper flakes for some kick on top.

INGREDIENTS
1 recipe pizza dough
your favorite barbecue sauce (or traditional tomato sauce)
Virginia baked ham, thinly sliced and chopped (or Canadian bacon)
fresh pineapple, cubed
red onion, thinly sliced
mozzarella, grated
smoked Gouda, grated
red pepper flakes, for sprinkling (optional)

DIRECTIONS
1. Prepare pizza dough according to recipe directions.

2. Preheat oven to 450 F. Top prepared crust with a thin layer of barbecue sauce, ham, pineapple, onions, mozzarella, and smoked Gouda.

3. Bake in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes until the cheese is bubbling and the crust is golden brown. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with red pepper flakes (optional), slice, and serve!

Makes 1 large pizza.

1 comment:

  1. DROOOOOOOOL!!! Totally putting this on the menu for the upcoming week! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete