Tuesday, June 8, 2010
Jamaican Jerk Chicken
I did it! I survived my first 12 hour shift! This is a big step. I feel a lot closer to being a real nurse now! This summer is turning out to be busier than any of my previous semesters, but I'm not going to let that stop me from cooking. There are always weekends! And the crazier my life gets the more I crave finding my peaceful place in my kitchen and sitting down to a relaxing dinner I prepared.
Here's a spicy and yummy jerk chicken recipe that is simple to throw together. Blend the marinade ingredients, pour over the chicken, and let it sit in the fridge overnight. The next day, throw the chicken in the oven or on the grill and you're done. I only used two habeneros, but if you like to light your mouth on fire, by all means, use more. And I went with chicken breasts. Drumsticks and thighs would be juicy and wonderful. I bet even skinless, boneless breasts would have great flavor (just remember to reduce the cooking time).
INGREDIENTS
Jerk Marinade:
3 scallions, chopped
4 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
4 to 5 fresh Scotch bonnet or habanero chiles, stemmed and seeded (I only used 2 habaneros and it had plenty of zing for me!)
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
2 Tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
3 Tbsp. olive oil
2 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. packed brown sugar
1 Tbsp. fresh thyme leaves
2 tsp. ground allspice
2 tsp. black pepper
3/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
6 lbs. bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs, drumsticks, and breasts (I used only breasts)
DIRECTIONS
1. To make the marinade, blend all the ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth. Divide the chicken and place in two large resealable bags. Pour half of the marinade in each bag, seal, and turn to distribute the marinade. Place in a shallow pan and marinate in the refrigerator for 1 day.
2. Preheat outdoor grill (and cook according to these directions) OR preheat oven to 400 F. To roast in the oven, line a large baking sheet (or two) with aluminum foil and lightly grease it with cooking spray. Bake in preheated oven for about 40 minutes, rotating halfway through, until the juices run clear. Let rest several minutes before serving.
Serves 8.
(Adapted from Gourmet)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment