Sunday, January 9, 2011
Coconut-Curry Chicken Soup
I keep resorting to soup. It must be due to the cold. And the wind and snow. Soup is warm. It's comforting and filling and nourishing. I like the feel of sipping spoonfuls from a steaming hot bowl. It feels like home. Soup such as this is best enjoyed on a dreary day, with some warm and crusty bread to dip in it. Soup is one of the few reasons I can find to appreciate winter. It wouldn't taste the same without it.
When I set about developing this recipe, I found five or six variations on it. I had no idea coconut-curry soup was so versatile. In the end I kept pretty close to this Cooking Light recipe. And it was the right choice. The broth, while mildly spicy, has a subtle sweetness. I chose to incorporate rice, but instead you could use noodles (I'd suggest soba). Whatever you do, just make some soup. Your stomach will thank you.
Coconut-Curry Chicken Soup
INGREDIENTS
1 3 lb. whole chicken (or 1 lb. chicken breast), cooked, and shredded
1 Tbsp. canola oil
1/4 cup shallots, thinly sliced
2 carrots, peeled and grated
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. fresh ginger, minced or grated
2 tsp. red curry paste
1 1/2 tsp. curry powder
1/2 tsp. turmeric
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
6 cups homemade or low-sodium chicken broth
1 (14 oz.) can light coconut milk
3/4 cup long grain brown rice OR 6 oz. soba noodles
1/2 cup green onions, sliced + extra for garnish
1 tsp. organic cane sugar
2 Tbsp. fish sauce
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped + extra for garnish
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
lime wedges, for serving
DIRECTIONS
1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the shallot and carrots and saute several minutes until tender. Add the garlic and ginger and saute for 1 minute. Stir in the curry paste, curry powder, cumin, and coriander and cook spices for another minute. Add the chicken broth, coconut milk, and rice (or noodles) and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for about 30 minutes, until the rice is tender (reduce the time if you're cooking noodles).
2. Stir in the shredded chicken, green onions, sugar, fish sauce, cilantro, and red pepper. Simmer just long enough to heat through. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve sprinkled with extra green onions and cilantro and garnish with a lime wedge.
Serves 6.
(Adapted form Cooking Light)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
yum! i've had a variation of this saved since august. i'm excited to try it, it looks/sounds delicious!
ReplyDeleteI'm making this tonight--hopefully the Elders will like it too! I love coconut and curry--yumm--I'm so excited!
ReplyDeleteGranola Girl- Good luck! I think you'll all love it, but let me know how it goes!
ReplyDelete