Friday, January 7, 2011

Ginger Carrot Muffins


After a recent string of disappointing dishes (nothing terrible, just not blog-worthy), I wasn't expecting much when I slung these muffins into the oven yesterday. I was discouraged and I had tinkered with the recipe. You never know how things will turn out when you start messing with ingredients. (Like adding a little baking powder here, subtracting some sugar and replacing the oil there.) I had further healthified these muffins, and wasn't confident in the outcome. But (as you've probably already guessed since I'm talking about them now) I was wrong. So wrong.

They're wonderful. Fluffy, moist, and soft. Not overly sweet, but not bitter in the least. Completely whole grain, low on fat (especially if you use low-fat buttermilk), and packed with nutritious things like carrots, walnuts, and ginger. The ginger is what makes these muffins. Ground cinnamon and ginger provide a base, but it's the candied specks that provide the explosion of flavor. Chewy, spicy, and sweet all at the same time. Such a pleasant surprise.

Ginger Carrot Muffins

INGREDIENTS
1 3/4 cups white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup oat flour (ground oats)
1/2 cup milled flax
1/2 cup organic cane sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup candied or crystallized ginger, finely diced
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 cups carrots, grated

DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Lightly grease (or fill with paper liners) a 12-cup muffin pan.

2. In a large bowl, whisk to combine flours, flax, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, salt, and crystallized ginger.

3. In a separate large bowl, whisk to combine the eggs, buttermilk, and applesauce. Add the dry ingredients and stir until just moistened. Fold in the carrots and walnuts.

4. Spoon batter into the muffin cups, filling above the rims. Bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes, until a tooth pick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool for several minutes in the pan before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

Makes 12 muffins.

(Adapted from King Arthur)

1 comment:

  1. Jessie- Loved the carrot ginger muffins. Had to say I was scared to use little pieces of ginger in them because I know when i've accidently had fresh ginger chunks in my mouth I'm a bit turned off because its such a strong flavor. I didn't feel like purchasing candied ginger---- so i made my own. Super easy (just took a long time--but i was able to cook other things at the same time/clean kitchen area) plus it made a lot. So i made some with banana muffins ...and whatever type of muffin i was making that day.

    ReplyDelete