When I have lots of time on Sunday mornings I like to cook breakfast. Something beyond the regular bowl of cereal or plain toast. This quiche would work for any meal, but I felt extra healthy incorporating a vegetable so early in the day. The overall result was decadent enough that I had to practically remind myself I was eating broccoli. I served it with a side of vanilla yogurt and strawberries.
INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 cups (fresh or frozen) broccoli florets, chopped
6 strips bacon
1 cup milk
3 large eggs, beaten
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
1 Tbsp. whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1 9-inch whole wheat pie shell (optional)
DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. Fry bacon in skillet or microwave until crisp. Blot with paper towels to remove excess grease. Let cool then crumble. Set aside.
3. Meanwhile, cook broccoli until tender; drain well.
4. Combine milk, eggs, butter, flour, salt, pepper, bacon crumbles, broccoli, and 3/4 cup cheese in a bowl. Blend together gently. If using a crust, sprinkle half of the remaining cheese over the crust. Pour egg mixture into pie shell or dish. Top with last bit of shredded cheese.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 35-45 minutes, until the quiche is set and the top is golden brown.
Serves 6.
(Adapted from Whole Foods Market)
Hey Jessie, I love this blog. I'm going to try your recipes you've posted here, they look so good! Keep posting more!
ReplyDeleteLove love love this recipe! I love your blog, keep the recipes coming :)
ReplyDelete