Monday, April 5, 2010

Caramelized Onion Quiche


What's Easter without quiche? It was quite the production, but I managed to produce this multi-step dish before noon on Sunday, and called it Easter brunch! A flakey buttery pastry shell is filled with sweet caramelized red onions (spritzed with balsamic vinegar), eggs, and sharp Gruyere. For me, a devoted caramelized onion lover, it was heaven. I shared of course (with my husband and parents), but I was very unladylike and by far ate the most! I don't make such devilishly rich dishes very often, and so I indulged. I wish it wasn't gone. It may not be quick or easy enough for every day, but once and a while, it's definitely worth the effort. A similar recipe that I plan on someday sharing can be found here at Smitten Kitchen. It's a Cauliflower and Caramelized Onion Tart. A friend of mine made it and I ate it. And it, too, is awesome!

INGREDIENTS
1 recipe all-butter pastry crust
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 lb. red onions, thinly sliced (2-3 large onions)
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
1 cup milk (I used 2%, don't use skim)
3 large eggs
pinch nutmeg
6 oz. (1 1/2 cups) Gruyere, grated

DIRECTIONS
1. Prepare pastry according to recipe directions. After it has chilled in the fridge, roll out the dough and press into the quiche/pie pan you are using. Chill in the freezer for 30 minutes while you are caramelizing the onions.

NOTE: I only let mine sit in the freezer for about 10 minutes, but I recommend this step as it ensures that the butter is cold when it goes into the oven and results in a flakey crust!

2. To caramelize the onions: Preheat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and stir to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until the onions are soft and golden brown (this will take 40-50 minutes). (Reduce the heat slightly if they are starting to burn.) Add the balsamic vinegar and continue cooking another 5-10 minutes until they are completely caramelized. Remove from the heat and set aside.

3. To prebake the pie crust: Preheat oven to 350 F. Line the crust with parchment paper and place baking weights inside (dry beans, rice, etc.). Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and carefully remove the parchment and baking weights. Prick the bottom several times with a fork. Return to the oven to bake for 10 more minutes, until lightly golden. Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack.

4. To assemble the quiche: In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. Season with salt, pepper, and a pinch of nutmeg. Sprinkle half of the cheese over the bottom of the prebaked crust. Place the caramelized onions overs the cheese and top them with the remaining cheese. Pour the egg mixture over top. Place on a large baking sheet (in case of spill-over) and transfer to the 350 F oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, until the center is just set and the top is golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes before slicing.

Makes 1 quiche.

(Adapted from Simply Recipes)

No comments:

Post a Comment