Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Roasted Beet Salad with Apricots, Pistachios, and Goat Cheese


I'm all about trying new things, cooking with new ingredients.  It's extremely satisfying to take a raw ingredient you've never used before and turn it into something spectacular. Now I had encountered beets once before, back when my little brother convinced me to make borscht. So I knew they weren't all that awful. What I didn't realize is how wonderful, soft, and sweet they become when you roast them whole in the oven. It takes a long time, but they need minimal attention.

I created this salad to highlight the ruby red beets. I chose other ingredients that would compliment their flavor and that speak of the Spring season. My selection was somewhat inspired by this Quinoa Salad I made several weeks ago. The honey shallot sherry vinaigrette worked wonderfully with the combination. I suppose a balsamic vinaigrette would also pair well.

The moral of this story is: don't be afraid of beets! Or any other intimidating vegetable. Lovingly prepared, they're amazing! But please, do be very afraid of what the potent red beet juice will do to whatever it comes in contact with. My fingers finally lost their pink hue, but my wooden cutting board might have received permanent damage! And be especially careful to not stain your clothing!

INGREDIENTS
beets, roasted and sliced (see directions below)
extra virgin olive oil
sea salt
baby spinach or spring mix
goat cheese, crumbled
pistachios, toasted (in a dry skillet over medium-low heat)
dried apricots, chopped
green onion, thinly sliced

Honey Shallot Sherry Vinaigrette:
2 tsp. shallot, minced
2 tsp. honey
2 Tbsp. sherry vinegar
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

DIRECTIONS
1. To roast the beet(s), preheat oven to 400 F. Brush beet(s) with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, and lossely wrap in aluminum foil. Place directly on the oven rack (or you can place a baking sheet beneath them) and roast 60-90 minute, until tender. Let cool before peeling off the skin and slicing.

2. To make the vinaigrette, whisk to combine the shallot, honey, and vinegar in a small bowl. Slowly stream in the olive oil while whisking constantly. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

3. To assemble the salad, layer a bed of spinach or mixed greens with the beats, goat cheese, pistachios, apricots, and green onions. Drizzle with the vinaigrette and serve.

Vinaigrette serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment