Friday, April 30, 2010

Strawberry Banana Muffins


For being such a health food nerd, it's surprising I haven't used agave nectar before now. It's the new honey. Compared to honey it's little runnier and more mild in flavor. Supposedly its slightly sweeter than table sugar and it retains some of the nutrients that refined sugars lack. But keep in mind, it's still a concentrated source of carbohydrates and calories, so it should be used sparingly.

I found the first local strawberries at the market last weekend and knew immediately what I wanted to do with them- make muffins! Whole wheat, naturally sweetened, fresh strawberry and banana muffins, that is. Made with applesauce instead of butter or oil. They're a scrumptious snack you can feel good about! They turned out moist and fluffy with fantastic fruity flavor!

INGREDIENTS
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1 1/2 cups strawberries, stemmed and diced
1/4 cup agave nectar (or honey)
1 1/2 cups white whole wheat or whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 eggs
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease or line a 12 cup muffin tin.

2. In a small bowl, combine the strawberries and agave. Set aside.

3. In a medium bowl, whisk to combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk to combine the banana, egg, applesauce, and vanilla. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until just moistened. Fold in the strawberries and agave.

4. Spoon the batter into the muffin tins, filling to the top. Bake in preheated oven for about 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.

Makes 12 muffins.

(Adapted from Fat Girl Trapped in a Skinny Body)

3 comments:

  1. you kill me with these recipes! :) And I read them at work and that means I can't have them right then and there! Thanks! Definitely trying this one, I need some healthier treats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phil and Bri- I know how it is! I sit in class on my laptop looking at other food blogs with my stomach growling loudly! Have you checked out FoodGawker (see links on left)? That site is trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job!!!! These look great!

    ReplyDelete